top of page

over 200 years of stringed instruments from Markneukirchen
and elsewhere

The stringed instruments on display here impressively document the history of German violin making, especially that of Markneukirchen. Big names and outstanding craftsmanship over six epochs of contemporary history. The company G.A. Pfretzschner (founded in 1834) probably played a decisive role in making the region around Markneukirchen and the instruments built there known throughout the world. 

Imperial times and before

Weimar Republic

in the time of National Socialism